Monday, September 2, 2013

Music Time - The 1975

Hello bloggies,

    Well, here it is, my first post about something actually important instead of myself. Okay, so today I wanted to share with you a band I found a few months ago. First let me tell you how I found the band: I was on my iTunes account checking out the charts when I found this little section titled "Free Single of the Week". Okay, now being a college student I saw the word "free" and instantly jumped on it! That weeks single of the week was called "Chocolate" by The 1975.

    When I saw the title, I'm not going to lie I was pretty psyched, I mean who doesn't love chocolate? And yes, the image that ran through my brain was the episode of Spongebob where they had to sell candy bars! After I downloaded the song I came to realize it was most definitely NOT about chocolate! The song in fact turned out to be somber, about never quitting, and of course about drugs.

      This English alternative rock/indie band has started to make a name for themselves in their home country. Based in Manchester, this band has taken the world by a storm! Two of their three videos were even shot in black and white showing the struggle portrayed in the lyrics of the songs. "Chocolate" and "The City" portray the world in black and white, while conveying their message about abandonment and drug use. Their third video for the song "Sex" is shot in color, which I believe is due to the "cheerful" world they are trying to show. The world where adolescents are just having fun and living their lives.

     While some songs have a slower beat, there are some faster paced, but I think what gives this band the edge is the unique voice of the front man, Matthew Healy. The public always tunes into bands or groups that have a unique voice, take for example Maroon 5 with Adam Levine. Now, I'm not comparing the two, but I'm saying that both singers have a voice unlike those in the business. Front vocalist Matt is joined by guitarist Adam Hann, drummer George Daniel, and bassist Ross MacDonald.

     The 1975 has three EPs currently out, "Sex EP", "Music For Cars EP", and "IV EP". As well as these EPs the band has an album currently making its way into the charts. The bands self-entitled debut album, "The 1975", comes out today (September 2nd) in the UK and has already gotten raving reviews. The album will be available in America on September 3rd. The first single off of this album is titled "Girls" and has already received massive airtime on UK radio waves. With a new album comes a tour and they will not only be playing in England! The band will head out to America to play a few shows, as well as much of Europe. To find exact dates and tickets you can visit www.the1975.com/tour .

    This band is on the rise and I suggest you all check them out. Also, don't forget to check them out on twitter at @the1975 . I love their sound and hope for them to eventually make it to my area!

                                                             
                                                               (photo credit The Telegraph UK)

xoxo Just Your Average Girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment