Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Back To School...More Like Can I Go Back To Bed!

    Hello bloggies,

    Well as we all know with the end of Labor Day weekend, school starts up again. Now while you guys complain and are sad that today is your first day of school, let me just give you a little piece of advice...I've been in school for THREE WEEKS already! Yup, I've been in classes with homework and exams and don't even start about how I actually have to socialize with people who aren't online. Not to mention, even though I'm in college (university for those of you not in America), I have a group project in three out of my four classes! But okay, enough about me.

    Whether it's your first day of freshman year or your first day of senior year, the start to high school is rough. It's like a baby bear coming out after a long winter hibernation, we yawn and groin and get angry at our parents when our 6 a.m. alarm goes off. The idea of interacting with other humans petrifies most of us. Plus, not to mention we have to leave our twitters and tumblrs behind for the day *gasps*. The advice I want to give to high school students is: enjoy it. Honestly high school may seem like torture and the worst four years but when you get to college it's not any better. The only difference is that in college you are responsible for your work, what you eat, when you do things, and let me tell you it isn't a bed a roses. High school is your time to shine and have fun! Join activities, clubs or after school sports to find people with common interests. If you want to enjoy your high school experience, I'm sorry, but you will have to make friends and be a social little butterfly. If you are entering your junior year my advice is to focus on school, this is your most important year. Junior year is the year colleges look at when they determine if they will be accepting you for the fall semester. Don't start to slack just because you see the light at the end of the tunnel! And seniors, avoid "senioritis". Senioritis is when you guys start to slack off on your homework and your grades plummet. Avoid this! Colleges can take back your acceptances if your senior grades fall below their criteria. Don't lose your acceptance because you decided you were done with homework before you graduated. But in the end of the day, have fun, make friends and remember high school isn't a shark tank and you will make it out alive!

     If you are entering your first year of college my advice to you is: have fun. Your first year is when you can have fun, experience everything and make friends. Go out and join a club, go to the campus pool, go to school sponsored events, even go dancing! You want to be able to leave college and say, "I had the best time of my life." Don't have any regrets, it's our time to be young and stupid and sure we are going to make mistakes, but that is how we learn. Don't stay in on a Saturday night when you could go hang out with friends, just live your life and have fun, that is what college is all about! But, while you are having fun, don't forget the reason you are there...to learn. While I tell you to go out and have fun and live your life, don't forget your school work. Many freshman in college seem to have trouble balancing their workload with their time out and in the end start off college with a poor GPA and some even end up on academic probation. Don't be that kid on academic probation. Enjoy your time but also learn to balance it with your course load.

    Procrastination at any level of learning is an awful habit. Learn to overcome it by telling yourself that, "if I do this as soon as I get home, then I can get/go ____". By rewarding yourself you are giving yourself positive incentives to do the tasks at hand. Once procrastination starts its hard to end. In the high school years it may not be so bad, but if those habits carry over to college you will be swimming in work and trying not to drown. Get your work done early so you have more time to have fun and so you don't get stressed when due dates are approaching!

    While I can't offer advice to older college student's I can say that college is a time to have fun, experience things, and figure out what you want to be. In high school they make you decide what you want to be for the rest of your entire life. Now, when I graduated high school I was only 17 and I couldn't decide what I wanted to do at all. Don't worry, you will figure it out. In the meantime think positive, have fun, and have an awesome school year!

xoxo Just Your Average Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment